Thursday 11 February 2010

Admit the powerlessness....

Why is it that I am not yet inured to the embarrassment my children cause me? Why is it that I do not have it in me to chuckle at the pets while valuing their precious and fleeting curiosity and unbridled honesty?

Last weekend we were gathered outside a church waiting to be invited in to celebrate a family christening. All of sudden, I saw our son's coat diving through the open door of the attached community hall. I grabbed at him and asked the little rascal where he was headed.

him: In here.
me: This is not the church. We have to wait for the church to open up.
him: I'm going in here. Don't care.
me: I am NOT kidding here. We are not supposed to be in this room--we need to go next door as soon as the doors open.

Just as I registered that we had now scuffled our way into the back row of an AA meeting, with around 50 recovering alcoholics reviewing the 12-Steps printed out on a flip chart, our son lunges for a coffee urn with a piercing "I AM THIRSTY AND I NEED A DRINK NNNNOOOWWWW".

I was completely mortified....not indulgently amused at his shenanigans. Not thinking, "boys will be boys", "peace on earth" or any other goodwill thoughts. More "Dear Lord, let the ground open up and swallow me whole".

No comments:

Post a Comment